Date: April 30, 2017

Mainly cloudy. 40 percent chance of showers late this evening and overnight. A few showers beginning before morning. Risk of a thunderstorm before morning. Wind northeast 30 km/h gusting to 50. Temperature steady near plus 5.


Environment Canada
Text Size >   A   A   A

Printer Friendly

Safe Water

Drinking Water

Recreational Water

Wading Pools and Splash Pads

This page was reviewed or revised on Thursday, September 22, 2016 9:47 AM

Wading pools and splash pads are water play areas that provide a refreshing way to cool down on a hot, summer day. These facilities normally operate from late spring to early fall, and are located in parks and with other recreational water facilities.

What is a wading pool?

A wading pool is a structure that holds water at 75 cm or less at any point.

What is a splash/spray pad?

A splash pad, also known as a spray pad, is a water play area with interactive structures and/or equipment, such as nozzles that spray water, and has no standing water; it drains immediately.

Lambton Public Health aims to reduce the risk of injury, illness or fatality to wading pool and splash/spray pad users, especially when young children are present. Public health inspectors inspect these facilities to ensure they are operated in a clean, safe and sanitary manner.

To prevent the possible spread of illness from contaminated water, the owner or operator of a wading pool or splash/spray pad must:

  • Maintain the facility in a clean and sanitary state
  • Maintain water chemistry to reduce the potential spread of communicable diseases
  • Respond to adverse incidents that may affect the health of facility users

For more information, visit the following pages:
Wading Pool and Splash Pad INSPECTIONS
Wading Pool and Splash Pad RULES
Wading Pool and Splash Pad RESOURCES

To talk with a Public Health Inspector (PHI) about a wading pool or splash pad in Lambton County, call 519-383-8331 or toll free 1-800-667-1839.


Operating Procedures for Non-Regulated Recreational Water Facilities Guidance Document, April 2010